Lead groups – An old school way to win more business faster
- Setup collaborative cross company sales groups that accelerate success for the everyone
- Use collaboration technology for greater efficiency
- Sales groups find more deals, uncover competitive activity and increase win rates
In the frenetic ‘go fast’ world in which the modern sales professional operates we sometimes forget to go back to first principles in our quest for quota. I had a great conversation with a professional services account executive this week that reminded me of the value of some old school practices that we should re-use and super-charge with the new tools we have available.
He explained to me that he is part of a ‘leads group’ that meet monthly and shares opportunities among non-competing peers. In his world this is a collaboration between audit, legal, insurance, HR/payroll firms that are selling in the same region. It reminded me of selling technology in the 90′s – A bunch of us would meet for drinks each Friday and talk about the deals that were around and who was doing what with whom.
So how can you make it work for you?
1) Be an instigator and setup a monthly breakfast with industry colleagues that operate in the same territory.
2) Create a private collaboration network using Yammer, Chatter, Jive, Jam or other tool, so that you can make and receive updates to the group in real-time.
Finding people to sell to has pretty much been solved with data services, but what will never be automated is knowing allegiances, procurement practices, opportunities and personalities – Go old school and create a group that is focused on mutual success.
Some of the relationships you form as part of these groups will last you for your entire career – It is as simple as sending an email invite, so get started today.